Polis. Political Studies
1. The Journal’s goals and objectives
The key goals and objectives of “Polis. Political Studies” journal are the following:
– Publication of research, other materials of scientific, educational and cultural nature in the field of political science and related fields of human knowledge in order to inform readers about the state of modern Russian and international political science.
– Satisfying information needs of professional experts, government officials, representatives of public associations, and other individuals and organizations in political science expert scientific assessment of contemporary political processes in the country and the world.
– Promoting the humanization of Russian political culture and the development of modern political science in Russia.
– Dissemination of the achievements of modern political thought, development of professional ties and scientific cooperative interaction between researchers and research teams in Russia and foreign countries, coordination with other journals, political and social institutions, research centers, higher education institutions, creative unions.
2. Thematic areas
The Journal adheres to the principle of consolidation of Russian community of political scientists on the basis of intra-disciplinary differentiation and interdisciplinary connections of political science, as well as wide range of research and methodological approaches. Thematic areas of articles published in the Journal include:
- theory and methodology of political science;
- comparative studies in political science;
- political sociology;
- political philosophy and philosophy of politics;
- studies of international relations and problems of international security;
- studies of globalization processes, of transnationalization of politics;
- studies of political culture, political ideology, political identity;
- institutional political science;
- studies of party-political systems and political regimes;
- studies of problems of federalism and federalist relations and regional policy;
- applied political studies;
- conflict and security studies;
- political analysis and forecasting, application of mathematical methods in political studies;
- political analysis of governance problems;
- studies of civil society, civil activism, civil identity;
- studies of political leadership.
Please note that following these principles and priorities plays an important role in considering manuscripts for publication.
3. Peer review system
Submitted manuscripts are registered only if correspond to the Journal’s thematic profile and Guidelines for manuscripts. Registration does not guarantee publication of the manuscript. Registered manuscripts are subjected to internal review; analyzed is correspondence to the key thematic criteria, such as: relevance of the study; originality in interpreting the subject of the study; adequacy of methodology; validity of data; theoretical profoundness of author’s concept; correspondence of the conclusion to goals and tasks etc. The manuscript can be either returned to the author for improvement or rejected by decision of the Editorial team (key criteria for rejection is evident lack of correspondence to the Journal’s thematic profile).
A registered manuscript which corresponds to the key criteria is subjected to double-blind peer review. Editorial team does not provide text of the review, only its key result and motives of decision. The whole process takes approximately two months. The Editorial team takes one of the following decisions: 1) to publish the manuscript; 2) to publish the manuscript after is has been improved by the author; 3) to return the manuscript to the author for profound improvement and, after that, to subject it to peer review again; 4) to reject the manuscript. In any of these cases the author is provided with a summary of motives for rejection.
Due to vast number of articles in the Journal’s backlog no urgent publications can be promised. Articles for the current issue are selected on the basis of their correspondence to thematic plan of the issue and editorial priorities.
4. Geographical diversity
The Journal’s editorial policy is developed by Editorial team and International Editorial Council together. Editorial team is comprised mostly by prominent political scientists from Moscow and Saint Petersburg; only half of International Editorial Council’s members are from Russia, with the other half comprised by professors from Great Britain, Sweden, Japan, Norway, USA, France, Italy. The Journal’s authors come from more than 60 different Russian cities. We have published articles of authors from more than 37 countries of the world, including Germany, France, Japan.
5. Strengthening international ties
The task of improving international connections – strengthening and diversifying ties – is of high priority for the Journal. All scientific articles published in the Journal contain a data block in English (information about the author, abstract, keywords, references), as well as most of information on our website. This, as we hope, will expand our audience and attract new authors.
6. Requirements for authors and reviewers
All submitted manuscripts are registered and subjected to the review procedure only if correspond to the Journal’s thematic profile and Guidelines for manuscripts. The manuscript can be either returned to the author for improvement or rejected by decision of the Editorial team (key criteria for rejection is evident lack of correspondence to the Journal’s thematic profile). A registered manuscript which corresponds to the key criteria is subjected to double-blind peer review. The authors and reviewers of the Journal should adhere to Guidelines and Ethical principles for all participants of the editorial process.
Reviewer is an expert in corresponding subdiscipline who does not belong to the same long-term research group as author of the reviewed manuscript, and who has never been his / her co-author. Scientific counsel of the author who is applying for a scientific degree cannot be reviewer in this case. Reviewer must not use information of the manuscript in his own interests. Review should contain a thorough assessment of scientific and methodological advantages and disadvantages of the manuscript.
The Journal considers only manuscripts which has not been published before. On one hand, if some part of the manuscript was published in one of the author’s other works, it should contain proper references. On the other hand, the Journal is against extensive self-citation. Authors should thoroughly check bibliography, adhere to rules of citation, limit application of tables and graphs. By submitting a manuscript to the Journal, the author confirms possessing copyright for it and agrees with the Authors’ ethical principles. Publication in the Journal is free of charge.
The Journal is distributed by subscription. After two years since publication in paper each issue is published online on the official website www.politstudies.ru and can be published on other websites with a link for www.politstudies.ru. Materials from rubrics “Academic Life” and “Reflecting of Matters in Print” are published online after the issue has been published in paper. All articles are also available from the database of eLibrary (www.elibrary.ru).